From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 12:51:02 +0100
Maria Parlapiano posted a hair-raisingly scary post on Saturday
consisting of the text of Nestle's recruitment adverts.  After her
post, Renee Hefti posted about how Nestle used a student dietitian to
promote its programs and put a 'solidarity-with-the-poor' spin on its
scheme with Newark.  No one else has commented on either post so far.

About 40 Lactnet posts were written in the 24 hours of Saturday, March
10 (It's hard to say exactly because we live all over the world so
some posts are written on the 9th but appear on the 10th and some were
written on the 10th and appear on the 9th).  Of these, four posts
concerned the clear and present threat to the health of the entire
population of Newark, New Jersey, posed by the aggressively unethical
behavior of the Nestle corporation.  I include Maria's and Renee
Hefti's posts in these four.  Three posts were about the cost of
infant formula in various countries.  One post was a comment on the
problematic sponsors of a website associated with the AAP.  Five posts
were about purely clinical issues.  Two posts were about yet another
kickback scheme for referrals to IBCLCs.

The other 25 posts were about CLC, IBCLC, LLLI, ALC, CLE 'issues' - a
couple of pleas from Linda Smith (thanks for trying, Linda!) to stop
this destructive infighting, a couple of thank-yous in response to
that, a couple of new perspectives on the topic and a whole slew of
what I am going to call 'I'll stop infighting as soon as I've had my
say' posts.  Yes, this topic stirs us up.  But at this moment, Linda's
advice is really worth taking.  Nestle are in the process of taking
control of what should be the public health authorities' domain,
impacting the health of many many hundreds of thousands of people in
the US, and we are bickering about the effects on individual mothers
who report to them that  another practitioner said something different
to what the IBCLC would say.  If we weren't bickering over this, we
would be bickering over problems arising from what the hospital IBCLC
reportedly told them when they come to us, the community IBCLC or what
the community IBCLC said in prenatal classes and how that made our
life as a hospital IBCLC more difficult.   Our own infighting is so
deafening it almost drowns out the cries of the babies having trouble
digesting formula, and the guffaws of the Nestle execs on their way to
the bank.

It pains me to write this, but if Nestle had its own troll on Lactnet,
they couldn't have done a better job than we do ourselves, of
diverting our attention from our real competition.  And competition is
far too friendly a word; enemy would be more accurate.  If we keep
this up, the only place a person with our skills and knowledge will be
able to find a job will be in the breastmilk substitute industry
because while we were busy splitting hairs about turf, public health
in the US got shut down.

The rest of this post is cut and pasted from Renee Hefti's post.
Please read it and respond if you care at all about the rights of US
children to get breastfeeding information from someone other than
Nestle.

"http://www.cse.edu/academics/academic-areas/health-wellness/nutrition/foods-and-nutrition-news.dot

Jenna Tallaksen, RD, recent graduate of the Foods and Nutrition
Program’s Dietetic Internship has helped create an innovative and
significant program aimed at healthy nutrition for the children in
Newark, NJ. Working for the Nestle Corporation as a Public Policy
Analyst in Medical Advocacy and Public Policy, she was part of the
Nestle-Newark Advisory Board which teamed with the City of Newark for
this effort.

Jenna is putting the Mission of the College of St. Elizabeth into
action, "solidarity with the poor and ... commitment in service to the
poor."

 [log in to unmask]   (email for the newsmedia at College of St Elizabeth)"

Oh yes, and please stop the infighting.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway