From:
Mari Douma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 00:17:58 -0500
I have been on Lactnet for about six months now, and have occasionally
posted. I found out about Lactnet from the dietician at our county health
department, to whom I am most grateful. Lactnet has been absolutely
wonderful!!! I have learned so much from all of you and have felt a strong
sense of community and lots of encouragement.

I am a pediatrician in Lansing, Michigan, where I am an assistant professor
of pediatrics at the College of Osteopathic Medicine at Michigan State
University. I finished my residency in the fall of 1996 and have been with
MSU since then. I give the one breastfeeding lecture to the medical
students. I have a dream of someday offering an elective course in
breastfeeding. But I have much, much to learn before this could happen. I
also give occasional BF lectures for the pediatric residents. In fact, I did
one last Monday and it was well recieved.

I am involved in a small-scale BF research project of my own in which I am
looking at BF rates in my area. I am hoping to involve my dept. office sites
in improved BF practices. So much to do and so little time...      Even
after 30 hour plus *days* as a resident, being a mother is often more
exhausting. My almost 3 y/o daughter continues to nurse.

Thanks to all of you who make Lactnet such a great place!!!

Mari Douma, DO, FACOP, FAAP