From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 07:46:49 -0500
Hi All,
    Eutie B.'s comments on a wonderful radio talk show about
breastfeeding reminded me that we have here on Wave (Louisville) TV a
fairly new call in and give your opinion show, her first show was on
breastfeeding in public. Most of the time she has her opinion, but will
concede a point if the caller has made a strong, sensible point. On this
particular show - most of the callers were positive but no medical
people called in and the host was definately against it.However, since
the TV show is doing so well, she has a radio show too. An 1 1/2 hours
in the morning. My husband listens to her for the first few minutes and
then the last 45. Last week she did her radio show on the topic. My
husband stated that all most all of the callers were supportive and he
said it was great listening to it. He tried to get  talking about the
show with his secretary and got shot down quickly, so he backed off. He
knows the limits of her patience and if he blows it all the other people
in the building (civilian and military) must suffer her wrath.
    Now we are into this cover and he can not understand (like most of
us) what all the snit is about. I sort of think that there are lots of
men like my husband, who has a strong feeling that really it is the only
way to go, but can only put it into simple terms why. He almosts feels
that he is not eligible to make a comment. His primary reasons for
supporting were 1) not having to get up at night (at the time our 1st
was born, he had to get up at 4:30AM, 2) he did not have run out to buy,
spend money on, make up, feed or clean up after feeding the baby, and 3)
both of his chldren stayed healthy until after they weaned - he actually
saw the connection in real life.
    In deference to K.Dettwyler - who co-authored a book about it -
there just are so many things going on, especially with the more
apparent explosion of America being such a diverse culture, that we are
in a sudden collision of 'beliefs.' Having lived in Germany for seven
years and being able to travel to France, Belgium, Denmark, and Austria
- I have realized that over there, at least to a foreigner, it appears
that their cultures have been more than able to blend without such a
clash on simple issues (the bigger ones seem to be their problems).
(This is purely MHO) I tend to see from our experience and now my
daughter's who is living in Japan, that many (the majority?) go overseas
with an arrogant attitude and make little or no attempt to deal with the
local culture. I can not rember the number times the Americans I was
living with could not understand how or why I shopped in the local
stores and purcahsed Eltern (German version of Parents). I would look at
them like, 'I'm here the food is fresher, there is definately more
choice in clothing beautiful handcrafted items, and household items and
I can read and speak German, why not grasp how they feel about
childbirth, breastfeeding and raising children? As I have aged, it has
occurred to me, that a number of American's feel that what they belive
is the black & white truth and the only right way to do it - without
hearing or considering althernatives. Some of the HCPs do it by not
considering options, giving full informed consent, dismissing patient
claims, and not even considering alternatives for treatments or in
addition to mainline treatments.
    I just dislike that when I make my feelings and beliefs known
(almost all supported by medical research and published studies) I am
the villian, making women feel guilty, fanatic, zelot, breastfeeing
policeperson and so on. The other side is just being considerate and
letting the parent make their own decision - my question is, if they are
not fully informed are they really making their own decsion? Inquiring
minds want to know!
    I am stepping down now - just had to vent.

Leslie Ward