From:
"Julie S. Brill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 13:51:45 -0400
I agree with Kathleen about those darn packets! This has been an issue where I
teach childbirth classes because other instructors have felt that parents
"love" these treats. I have refused to give them out because I felt that
doing so clashed with what I was telling students, i.e. you don't need
to buy a lot of gadgets for your babies, plain warm water works well at
diaper changes and helps prevent diaper rash, etc. I also refused to give
out those freebie parents magazines, because even in the issues where they
are not discussing the benefits of formula they were advertising it. This also
didn't go with what I was teaching.

I have been doing this for 3 years and have never received a single student
complaint about not receiving these products. I think most of them don't even
know they're missing out on something. I also warn them that new parents are
a big consumer group and to be careful who they give their names out to,
because their names will be sold.

Yes many of them do not breastfeed, or breastfeed for painfully (to me) short
periods of time. I know they are getting this advertising else where. But at
least I know that I'm not part of that problem.

Best Wishes,
Julie Brill