From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 08:09:59 -0400
I have been seeing a mother who at one week postpartum had a ruptured
appendix.  She was taken to surgery and was very sick requiring numerous
antibiotics.  Her Dr. prescribed Flagyl. Which freely passes into milk.  She
has been pumping and dumping for the week she has been on the med.
 Accaording to the AAP and Lawrence this is a class 4 drug and when given in
a 2 gram dose (single) the med is excreted in a 24 hour period.  Will this 24
hr. period after the last dose be OK for a mom who has taken this med for a
week?  Looking back (hindsight is always better) should I have questioned the
use of this drug.  At the time this mom was so sick, her temp was up for
days, she could barely even hold the baby, I just went with the pump and
dump.  So what do you think guys?  She is finishing the med on Mon.

Linda Rosetti RN, IBCLC [log in to unmask]
Clarkston, Wa.