From:
BETH COLLINS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:48:32 -0400
Hi Fellow lactnetters

I have been hitting my head up against the wall a lot recently.  I would
like some encouragement and words of wisdom from the great collective.

I would like the 5 w's for ways to educate the physicians in my community.

Have had many examples, here are a few
        stop breastfeeding because the bilirubin is too high
        supplement after breastfeeding because babies that are supplemented
grow better                 and are healthier
        Stop breastfeeding or pump and dump because you are on gentamycin
        stop breastfeeding because you are being started on coumadin

Yes we have Tom Hale's book readily available, I have even talked with
physicians directly with information and was told that they didn't believe
it and the mother wasn't allowed to breastfeed.

The most recent one was about the coumadin and the mother will be on it for
4-6 weeks.  She was told that she could pump and dump for that time and then
breastfeed after she is off of the coumadin.  I wanted to scream.

Thanks in advance
Beth Collins RN IBCLC
feeling tromped on in rainy NE Ohio