From:
Dunn Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:39:19 -0700
Lucy,
I want to respond to your comment:
"Cathy B's comments on the two different socioeconomic groups she has worked
with reminded me of how many times I've marveled at how few complaints and
self-pitying comments I've heard from women in who live under what I
consider terrible conditions.  Maybe  the same quality that has  made
people in higher socioeconomic groups get where they are also makes them
more easily dissatisfied when things don't go as they expect?"

My experience, from having lived in Eastern Europe, is that one reason why women living in difficult conditions don't complain is that their adversity has made them stronger.  Those of us with easier lives lose out on the opportunity to build that sort of inner strength that is needed to get through times of difficulty, sleep deprivation, whatever... without complaining and whining.

Barrett Dunn, MPH student and "retired" midwife (who whined her way through sleep deprivation)