From:
"Zena K. Gresham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:25:39 EST
In a message dated 12/10/98 12:27:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I do think they
 get short shrift -- and they aren't being taught how to do "it" right.  The
 other issue, of course, is that a breastfeeding mother NEEDS an LC -- bottle
 feeding is made to look SO easy -- and the bf mom needs help, poor thing,
'cuz
 it is so hard.  If we made bottle feeding hard, maybe more moms would
 breastfeed.  If they did bo fdg right, it would be hard.  Tires me out just
 thinking about it.  Hey, the decision about WHICH formula (all of them being
 "closest to mother's milk" but all of them having something slightly
 different) to feed makes me tired. >>

I have thought about this same thing!  At WIC all the expecting moms are
*supposedly* required to attend a breastfeeding class.  Which, is to try
persuade them to breastfeed. So, I first talk about myths, then benefits, and
finally how to and what not to do.
I often feel that it may seem to the moms (regardless of what I tell them)
that "It must be harder to breastfeed or else they wouldn't have to have a
class to teach it!"
I have asked if we can have a *bottle feeding* class to moms that come in soon
after the babies birth that have chosen to bottle feed.  This way they will
get instruction, not only on formula preparation and storage, but other items
such as: bottle feed *lovingly* (no propped bottles) and no instant feeders or
solids in bottles when to start solids; etc.  Not only would we be addressing
what the clients clearly need to know about using bottles and formula, but it
can be shown to be the hard thing that it is.
I have even offered to teach these classes.  Maybe I might be able to mention
how this or that would be different if breastfeeding.  I was also thinking
that those moms who were choosing to do both could find out good reasons to
breastfeed exclusively.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to convince WIC to do it.  :o(

Zena K. Gresham
WIC breastfeeding Peer Counselor, LC in training
SO. NV Breastfeeding Taskforce President
ICQ# 23200192  [log in to unmask]