From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:30:48 -0500
I want to express my profound sadness and sympathy for the babies in Israel
who were killed or sickened by the deficient formula, and their families.

It's always a tragedy when a baby dies for any reason, and particularly sad
when the death was preventable. I hope we can turn our sadness, anger,
frustration, etc into proactive support, protection and promotion of
breastfeeding. It's "hard to remember that our purpose is to drain the
swamp" when we're up to our elbows in alligators" such as this current
tragic situation.

My plea today is to trust one another, support one another, and take
positive proactive actions whenever possible. Sometimes action will mean
pursuing a research thread; other times digging into a set of laws or
policies, meeting with officials, wondering about a device or product,
taking a phone call from a mother in the middle of the night, or other
actions. I'm sometimes frustrated that I can't do ALL of the above, and have
learned to trust the process and others. It all adds up in the long run.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre Ltd

6540 Cedarview Ct, Dayton OH 45459

ph 937-438-9458 www.BFLRC.com