From:
Debra Swank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:41:47 -0400
1) Re: heating milk in a bowl of boiling water:  this is a safety risk in regard to
the risk of scalding the baby.  Further, there is the risk of damaging and
destroying some of the components in human milk by heating in a microwave
or at otherwise high heat, such as heating in a pan of boiling water on the
stove or in boiling water off the stove.  There is no need to heat human milk
when then baby is nursing.  When nursing the baby, there is no risk of scalding
the baby with milk that is too hot to safely consume, since milk directly from
the mother's breast is at a pleasantly comfortable, safe temperature.

2) My first child at age 4 months, circa 1973, repeatedly refused the breast
after one bottle given to her by my mother-in-law; the bottle was given by my
MIL without permission from me for her to do so.  To my knowledge, my
daughter had been exclusively breastfed until that time, although after her
birth at Portsmouth Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, Virginia in 1973, she may
have been given bottled water for her first 24 hours.  It was hospital policy at
that time to keep all newborns in the hospital's nursery for the first 24 hours.
I had attended prenatal childbirth ed classes in which part of one class
included info on health benefits of human milk ("breastmilk") as well as
demonstrations and return demonstrations of cradle hold and maybe some
other positions (I only mastered CH with that first baby).  The childbirth ed
instructor advised us to tell the nursery nurses not to give our babies formula
if we wanted to breastfeed, so that our babies wouldn't be too full to nurse
(amazingly, when my daughter was finally brought to me at 24 hours of age,
she immediately latched - - no nipple soreness at all).  I was 19 years old as a
first-time mother, and although I was in agony over the separation from my
baby during those hours, it didn't occur to me that I could demand to have my
baby brought to me sooner or that I could leave the hospital with my baby
AMA (hadn't heard of the concept then).  Four months later, as I offered the
breast to my baby during her refusal, my mother-in-law commented in a
condescending manner, "You're drying up."  I didn't have a pump and didn't go
out and purchase one, became engorged, then soon went through breast
involution following my baby's sudden weaning from the breast.  It was a
confusing time - - thought about contacting the local LLLL (I had been to a
couple of meetings by then) but was already devastated and couldn't bear to
hear that I was "drying up" from one more person other than my MIL.  I felt as
though I was too young to have realized that I was then depriving my child of
nourishment re: "drying up", even though all her weight checks and
developmental milestones had consistently been within normal ranges.

Now many years later, my perception of her refusal is that she quickly
developed a flow preference for the bottle re: first suck = immediate flow due
to gravity as the bottle was tilted toward her.  Flow preferences are common
across the lifespan, as adults often display flow preferences with various types
of water bottles.  The athlete who is running or biking typically prefers a water
bottle with the sports closure/cap in order to suck from the bottle for greater
control during rapid motion, rather than drinking from a water bottle in which
the closure/cap is entirely removed before drinking, for less control during
motion.  The same athlete who is standing still during a break from a workout
will likely prefer to remove the bottle closure for the most rapid flow, a faster
and therefore more satisfying way to quench one's thirst.  Many children and
teenagers seem to have energy to burn and often drink from bottles with
sports closures, whether moving or standing still.  Most adults seem to prefer
to drink from water bottles by entirely removing the cap to drink, although
some adults prefer the greater control of the sports closure, regardless of
whether they are moving or standing still.

Motor preferences are displayed daily throughout our lives - - our motor
preferences make a symphony possible (not everyone wants to play the string
bass or the trumpet, but thankfully, someone does!).  A ball team also exists
due to individual skills and abilities as well as personal motivations - - not
everyone is skilled in pitching or in hitting homers or even wishes to learn to
accomplish such feats.  It takes at least 10 years for an athlete to reach elite
levels of performance, so surely we can give babies a little time to learn how
suckle before their motor learning is challenged by other feeding methods!

Even when such challenges actually occur, my perception is that older, skilled
nurslings are not going to become nipple confused, as evidenced by their
refusal to even attempt the latch - - as opposed to very young newborns who
are profoundly neurologically wired to move toward the mother's breast.  My
most frequent perception of older babies' refusal of the breast is that they are
displaying a flow preference for an immediate flow, even if it's expressed
mother's milk in the bottle (after all, many exclusively bottle-fed babies prefer
certain types of bottles/bottle nipples, and older babies often display greater
motor control with one type of sippee cup over another).  This seems to
correlate with the common report by many mothers who have returned to work
re:  frequent breast refusal within a month or two of going back to work.
Today, many mothers have pumps and in such situations, often continue to
express milk in order to continue to give mother's milk to their little ones, rarely
seeking lactation care for breast refusal at later ages, as if the feeding
difficulty is inevitable.  Is there a common perception among mothers that LCs
and other lactation clinicians help only with newborn latch?