From:
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2012 07:30:35 -0400
Well, Jaye, I don't know how solid this is, but when my whole family was suffering from thrush in 1986, our Homeopathic Physician prescribed remedies for Candida, constitutional remedies and had us adopt a gluten free, dairy free, sugar free diet until it resolved.  We took good quality probiotics, I took a high quality B-complex, we took baking soda baths alot, treated our laundry, and worked on rebuilding our bodies.

It was difficult for me to do at the time with 3 children and one a baby so I get how hard it can be to make the changes needed, but we were desperate and I felt better within 2-3 weeks. I lost 15 lbs almost immediately, of water weight, and proceeded to improve by leaps and bounds, so it did not feel like deprivation at all.  Our daughters' yeast cleared up very quickly and they never complained about our dietary changes. One of the most important things we did was to treat my husband as well.

Chronic yeast infections, IMHO, are the result of a serious imbalance in the gut flora for whatever reason. Treating with antifungal measures without addressing the underlying imbalance never works long term. A thorough history of this mother will probably reveal the circumstances which brought her to this point.  In my case, it began with being fed evaporated cow's milk with Karo syrup as an infant and was exacerbated by repeated prescriptions of antibiotics, steroids for allergies, poor dietary choices as a teenager and subsequently birth control pills. Things really deteriorated when I was in my mid twenties and had a sinus surgery and more antibiotics. Fortunately, as a child, we didn't have enough money for junk food and our mother fed us raw sauerkraut and cod liver oil along with feeding us home grown food. I shudder to think what would have happened to me had we been eating the common diet of the day.

There is a lot of information out there. One of the best books I have read is The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook.

Does mainstream medicine embrace this approach? Not that I know of.. in spite of the incredible success people experience treating holistically.  I would suggest this mother seek the support of a knowledgeable homeopath, naturopath or holistic MD. Yeast doesn't just go away. Symptoms change, disease becomes more deep seated. It is like any other infection. It is not "just a nuisance".. it is the body yelling.. "There's something really wrong here.. fix it!!!"

Good luck to this mom! Perhaps she could be connected with Jennifer Tow for some good resources and tools to use, as well as to network with providers in her area.

Celina Dykstra, IBCLC, LLLL