From:
R M WAHL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:53:17 +0000
I have the mother's permission to post.  I was contacted by a mother who is
pregnant with a 26 week baby and her membranes have been ruptured since 19
weeks.  There has been some amnotic fluid around the baby's face on noted on
ultasound, but there is great concern that the baby's lungs may be
underdeveloped.  Mom wants to do anything she can to help the baby survive
and would like to provide breastmilk for the baby.  Mom has eczema of the
nipples.  She has two older that she tried to breastfeed and stopped because
of bleeding and pain.

I have never worked with a woman with eczema of the nipples.  Since the baby
will probably be born preterm there will be pumping involved.  We use the
Symphony breastpump at our hospital, but I am afraid that even that may be
too much for her skin.  She has not been using any meds for her eczema, but
the dermatologist just visited so she may be starting on some.

I have 3 different ideas.  (1)Try the Symphony using vegetable oil as a
lubricant.  (2) I have had one mother use the Whittlestone Breast Expresser
and she developed a full milk supply for a preterm baby.  Mom is interested
in this option.  She has never done any pumping and has nothing to compare
it to.  (3)  Hand expression.  I have never had anyone develop a full milk
supply by hand expression.

I would really like some suggestions for this mother, so thanks for the help
(in advance).  Sincerely, Rachel Wahl RN IBCLC