From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:05:17 -0400
Chris wrote:
>Could we craft a "Be all you can be" message for pregnant women?  .....
>This would be tricky, because of course we're implying that women who don't
>breastfeed are not reaching as complete a state of personal development
>that is "all" they could be.

Well they certainly aren't using their breasts for the purpose intended!

My friend Alice Martino (are you reading this, Alice?) coined the phrase
*The sexually competant woman.* Such a woman joyfully experiences puberty,
adolescence, sexual maturity, intercourse, birthing, breastfeeding and
menapause. Some of us do not experience intercourse, and some do not
experience orgasm. Some women do not have children. Some do not breastfeed.

If a woman does not experience the full range of female sexuality, should we
*make* her feel guilty? Of course not. Should we alert women to what they
might be missing? Ahhh...

When a woman becomes pregnant, surely she is entitled to know that
breastfeeding is a source of great pleasure to most mothers? It is not a
chore, something to be endured and ended as soon as possible. Nurturing a
child at your breast is an experience unlike any other, a source of joy and
achievement and pride. How many of us who have done so would choose to
bottlefeed a subsequent baby?

Why on earth would we NOT want to share this *secret* with others?

Norma Ritter,IBCLC