Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:56:27 EDT
I have a friend who is breastfeeding an 18 month old.  She has had few
problems with her breastfeeding.  Baby is nursing 3-4 times per 24 hours and
has now finally gotten her 2nd round of teeth.  Mother complains of pain on
latch at one breast, for a couple minutes then not painful.  She says there
is a red, "pimple looking thing" on her nipple.  It has a white ring around
it.  It doesn't sound like any bleb that I have ever seen.  The mom is not in
the state I live in...I have been acting as her telephone consultant since
day 3 when the baby's bili went up and MD wanted to discontinue
breastfeeding.  We are friends and she calls with normal questions like
starting solids etc. until today.  Has anyone seen anything that looks like
this.  I asked her if milk was coming from that spot and she doesn't know-she
said she would try hand-expression and see if milk comes out.  I hate
telephone stuff!  I referred her to the La Leche League website in hopes that
she would see something that looks like what she is seeing.  Ideas????

Linda J. Inglis, BS, IBCLC
Palm Harbor, Florida where it's hot and humid and no break in sight.  Still 6
more weeks of summer for us.