From:
"Jan L. Aken" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 23:17:20 EST
 Hi to all
 First, thanks to all  who posted me notes privately,I was glad for the
suggestions. Just a little update for those who don't remember this case. I saw
a mother last week who was 16 days post delivery with not really any milk, not
an breast changes etc. etc. The mother was nursing every hr to every  hr and one
half, and of course the baby was losing weight. I suggested to her last week
that she use the SNS with Formula and keep the baby at the breast.  Or to quote
K.A. "If not from the breast then at the breast"
Today when  she came back, I did  pre and post weights again along with pumping
the Rt. breast as baby was sucking on the left breast. Well we had "success".  I
was able to pump 1/2 oz. as the baby suckled on the left breast taking another
1/2 oz. Now it might not sound like much, but this was a major improvement over
last week. The parents were very happy and so was I. The baby had gained 14 oz
in one week.  Mom will continue to breastfeed but she also knows that she must
supplement with formula in  the SNS. I advised the mother that I would see her
next week and hopefully her milk supply will continue to increase,  so that we
might be able to decrease the formula intake by maybe half. Wishful thinking on
my part, I know.
This was a very good day! As I am walking around the unit smiling after this
consult ,I  am called to help a mother of twins breastfeed for the  first time.
With her first baby she choose not to breastfeed  but wanted to "try" this time
with the twins. I put both babies to breast and they were like champs. Breastfed
for 17 minutes. This mom had just had her C. section and was hooked up to I.V's
and she had an O2 mask on, but that didn't stop the breastfeeding. Dad was so
excited, he was taking several pictures to show his friends. Grandma was teary
eyed.  I left that room  all smiles.
Somedays are better than others!
Jan Aken R N IBCLC
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life
                                        ____Confucious