Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:35:11 -0500
My daughter Stacy had her 3rd child, a son, on New Year's Day. Her water started leaking in the early morning so we decided to drive up to be near the hospital since she is over an hour's drive on a beach road. We met her doula, went to breakfast and sat and visited in the restaurant for a while. We then walked around the hospital grounds 5 laps. She wasn't having contractions but some pressure and leaking. Just before noon, her water gushed and we went inside and was admited. About 1 pm the doc checked her and she was at 3 cm. He said it would be several more hours. Since she has a history or extremely fast deliveries we didn't exactly know what to do! I walked out into the hall to tell other family members it would be several hours when the doc came flying down the hall pulling on scrubs and telling me that we were needed. The baby was born at 1:10 pm. Mom and baby are doing fine and are now at home. The only observation that I have is that this hospital is part of the larger university health care system in our town which has been undergoing Baby Friendly certification application for a few years, and has been publicizing that fact. The hospital bassinet cards were courtesy of Mead Johnson with a full side of advertisements. And upon discharge Stacy was given a breastfeeding gift bag courtesy of Similac, filled with bottles, samples, etc. Baby Friendly ???

Barbara Whitehead
eastern NC