From:
Lea Rivera Todaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:34:04 -0500
I am going to try to answer the questions as I best I can.  And thank you everyone.

Mom was pumping using a preemie setting on a Medela Symphony and hand expression. Flange fit was good.  Breast changes in pregnancy and on day three she said they were “heavier and warm.” She was pumping and hand expressing every 2-3 hours.  She was able to get maybe about 1 ml total we used a syringe to measure.  She said that after a month of pumping for her first she only went up to 1 ounce total.  She delivered by scheduled c-section and was not particularly edematous.  She stated that she was going to continue to pump because whatever she could get for her babies of her milk she wanted to.

Pumps regularly, but gets nothing out??? Not more than about 1 ml and a good session (these are her words) would yield an ounce total.  How often? Every 2-3 hours.  What size pump flanges does she use? The standard Medela fit her well (very small nipples)  Does fingertip expression  (done properly about 1 inch or so behind base of nipple) yield anything at all? Not any more than the pump.  Does let-down reflex ever occur, accompanied by even one drop of milk leakage?? No leakage obvious on the other side during pumping or hand expressing.

I wonder if this is a "plumbing" issue.  This is what the nursing supervisor theorized as well.  We would have loved to have got her earlier and tried to arrange an imaging of some sort.

The babies were conceived by donor ova and I’m afraid I typed “primary” not “premature” which is what I meant.

I agree – 3 days post partum and if a mom gets 7-10mls we rejoice!  She was barely getting 1, which is explainable by the fact that the babies are 35 weeks.  The question is really one of planning given her relatively recent experience.  And thank you good to know that Crohn’s may not be an issue.

Lea