Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:07:25 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
The problem here is that part of the hospital's duties include providing food.  At the hospital where my grandson was for an extended stay (for major surgery), the hospital provided food for my daughter-in-law since she was providing food for the baby!  Otherwise, she would have had to provided her own.  The logic should be:  do we get all our patients' food from Morrison's for free in exchange for exclusive advertisement and pushing of the Morrisons' cafeteria chain?  (I'm using Morrison's as an example).   

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Maria Parlapiano RN, IBCLC
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 2:17 PM
Subject: Baby-Friendly

I really enjoyed the discussion surrounding the WHO Code.  Here is NJ, there is no compliance whatsoever.  Doesn't help that we are the mecca (home) of most every pharm. companie and Nestle corp.   At a recent LC dinner, I over heard the coordinator for lactation services and parent ed for 2 of the local hospitals asked about her hospitals becoming "baby-friendly."  She said," Oh, the hospitals would never want to incur the cost of purchasing formula and bottles. so that will never happen." 
So, (budding in) this was my suggestion.  The parents who choose to feed ABM should bear the responsibility for purchasing the formula, bottles and pacifiers of their choice, bring them along to the hospital when they deliver.  The parents should be responsible for preparing and feeding their own baby from the "get-go."  
Think of all the nurses who would be "free-up" to help assist the moms who are breastfeeding.  This would take care of her concern about expense.  It is not discriminatory if "feeding your baby is a personal choice"  (boy, how many times have we been tortured by that line) then let them make their choice and pay for it too.  After all, nursing mothers bring their own milk in their own containers (breasts).  Why shouldn't ABM parents be held to the same?   
Well, I thought she'd nearly expire in front of me! ( I loved every minute of it!)  This is extremely radical talk in NJ I am suprised I wasn't arrested!  Needly to say, we have to stop this influx of free formula: sent to the home, the doctor's offices and the hospitals.  Aside from everything else, this is by far the biggest stubbling block.  If we don't fix that first I don't see how anything else will work.  Thanks for letting me rant again.

Maria Parlapiano RN, IBCLC
Postpartum Place
Chatham, NJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2