Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:59:54 -0400

 Hi, everyone:

I have permission to post this request from one of my clients:

"My friend who lives in San Francisco is about to have a baby and just learned that she will likely have to have a C-section because he is breech. She is really worried because apparently the lactation consultant at the hospital told her that there are a lot of challenges to getting babies to nurse after c-sections, so she should be prepared that it might not work out. I was surprised to hear this because I have at least four or five breastfeeding friends who had c-sections. Anyway, I wanted to suggest she see a lactation consultant and was wondering if you happened to have any colleagues in the Bay Area that you might recommend. In my experience, it's so much about confidence and I am afraid hers has been shaken and I want to give her some support. She is particularly anxious because she has diabetes and has been told that babies who are formula-fed have an increased risk of diabetes and so she feels like her son will have twice the risk if she can't breastfeed him."

Anyone who works in the Bay Area and might be able to help this mom-to-be reclaim her confidence and power - please e-mail me off-list at [log in to unmask] with your information and I'll pass it along.

Thanks!

Peggy

Peggy Healy, LSW, IBCLC, RLC
The Art of Breastfeeding, Inc.