From:
Katharine West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:02:20 -0700
> Do women in cultures where breasts aren't restricted in bras or other
> binding have inverted nipples?  I've often wondered if some of our US
> problems come from tight bras, particularly with large breasted women.

I heard a fascinating radio interview that might give some clues. The
bra-free cultures discussed were Tahiti and Figi. The focus of the
discussion was a comparison of breast cancer rates with bra-free and
bra-wearing cultures, but perhaps the researcher is aware of
breast-feeding/inverted nipple issues as well (often getting far more
information than published).  In any case, his theory is that *any* bra
restricts normal breast function - specifically lymph drainage -
particularly when worn more than 12 hours per day (12 hours per day is
where his data reached statistical significance). He states the worst
thing that ever happened for breasts was the 18 hour bra. If his ideas
were accurate, one should find lower breast cancer rates in bra-free
cultures - hence his evaluation of Tahitian women. His ideas were
confirmed: Tahitian women have extremely low breast cancer rates -
*except for* ---> Tahitian nurses and teachers (the two professions who
wear Western clothing with bras). Tahitian nurses and teachers have
breast cancer rates similar to U.S. women. He believes breast cancer is
seen in such younger ages now, because our little girls go into bras at
very young ages now - 8 or 9 - and immediately take to wearing them all
day, and even all night. By the time they discover cancer at age 34,
they have experienced 25 years of breast constriction. I thought his
research very tight using very clear criteria (he has a Public Health
background. I apologize I cannot remeber his name - anyone else know?)
BTW, the radio hosts asked why his studies aren't being picked up by the
medical establishment; his reply has echoes of BFing vs ABM stuff:
"There is no money to be made with the solution. All women need to do is
remove their bras. There's no chemo, no radiation, no surgery - why
would medicine be interested in fostering this??"

While not having to do with inverted nipples per se, I think the thread
of our Lactnet discussion possibly supports his theory, only we are
seing how lengthy bra-wearing (hours per day) affects nipples. It also
has great application to issues of, say, insufficient milk supply and
certainly mastitis. If the bra were limiting lymph drainage, might they
also limit (in some women) circulation to some extent, thus affecting
supply - not enough body fluid to make enough milk. The reverse problem
- too much fluid trapped in the breasts without adequate drainage -
leads to mastitis.

Has anyone tried or recommended the bra-free state as an additional
measure to resolving insufficient supply and/or mastitis? I think I will
carefully try it and see what happens.

Also, should we recommend women's clothing manufacturers to design
clothing to accomodate the truly natural state?!?! (We'd have an
enormous task changing culture...)

Thoughtful in California,
Katharine West, BSN, MPH