Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:57:38 -0500
At 04:28 PM 6/30/00 EDT, you wrote:
>A mom in my practice had to wean her daughter at age 14 months because she
>had had nine breast infections and had tried "everything."  Her son is two
>months old she has had 3 infections at three different locations so far.  She
>is trying cabbage leaves, echinacea and elderberry and I have suggested all
>the usual remedies including frequent nursing and "emptying" and looser bras.
>Any added words of wisdom for her?

Does she take antibiotics for her infections?  I have found that most cases
of mastitis are non-infective--inflamatory--and do not need antibiotics.
The use of antibiotics weakens the immune system and invites a recurrence
of infection.

Anti-inflamatory meds such as ibuprofen are what I recommend for treatment.
I also recommend echinacea for boosting the immune system. The mom takes
400mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours for 24 hours, accompanied by rest and
frequent feeding and cabbage leaf compresses. Since I have been using this
treatment (as gleaned from Lactnet) I have not had any clients who did not
feel marked improvement within 24 hours. During the next 24 all is resolved.

To prevent recurring cases I ask the mom to check for anemia. If there is
no anemia or other immune system problems, I find that the most effective
treatment for the recurring cases is lecethin capsules (or granules).  I
recommend 3-4 gelcaps a day and my clients have reported full success.
(Ruth Lawrence mentions the granules for recurring mastitis, but I have
found that the capsules work fine.)

It seems that my clients who have repeated non-infective mastitis (based on
plugged ducts) also have babies who gain a lot of weight.  It is my thought
that these mothers have a high fat level in their milk and can more easlily
find themselves with a blocked duct.  The lecethin works to break down the
fats so that milk flows more easily.

Lecethin granules are used in cooking to break down fats in a sauce or
stew, is a food substance, and is fully safe for mother and baby.

Of course, there are the mechanical causes--underwire bras, sleeping with
bras, a baby carrier that constricts ducts, or pressing on the breast
during feedings.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]