From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:48:17 EST
Rachel and Heather,  I am facinated how low your epidural rates are and that
you do not tend to see any problems with them.  In the USA the rate is
averaging 60% and I have heard of surveys of women in this country wanting
those rates to be higher (so sad).
I was wondering when you see a mom with a breastfeeding problem do you keep a
record of the birth; length, meds, interventions, type of delivery, apgars,
and any seperation after delivery?  I know that a very normal,
non-intervention delivery with a healthy term baby can still have problems,
but they are in the minority.
It would be curious to keep a tally of the babies with problems and what
happened in their birth.  There have been some research on the effect of
epidurals and Marsha Walker has discussed them.
I brought this up before, the challenge is on for us who teach prenatally
what are the risks of epidurals.  Women have read in magazines that they are
safe and wonderful.  They hear this from their OB's and friends so we are in
the minority and delivering a message they may not want to hear.  This will
not stop me, but a very surmountable task.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, Mass