From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:03:22 -0700
It's called "dinoflagellate Crypthecodinium cohnii" - that from a Google
search.
"Any of numerous minute, chiefly marine protozoans of the order
Dinoflagellata, characteristically having two flagella and a cellulose
covering and forming one of the chief constituents of plankton. They
include bioluminescent forms and forms that produce red tide."
http://www.answers.com/topic/dinoflagellate
This site will tell you more than you cared to know.
It's the same stuff they put in the new formulas - all brands - same source.
Dinoflagellates and plankton may be what whales eat, but it is a Novel Food
for humans, according to the FDA (or is it the patent description at the
USPTO?). That means it is not part of the normal human food chain. But we
are not feeding it to our babies and to our mothers during pregnancy. Some
babies who are fed this stuff have awful diarrhea, so mom is advised to
change to another brand. Problem is, all brands buy from the same producer:
Martek.
Can you say: Brave New World?
And it's expensive!

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC