From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 1995 23:55:09 -0400
Elisha,
I can't tell you how many times I battle with this issue.  I think we are
witnessing the over powering strength of a bottle feeding culture that has
become imbedded into every corner of our lives.  I too have talked till I'm
blue in the face about the freebies given away however I don't have to deal
with cases of formula being given out on tour!!!!!!!!!
Very few hospital nurserys can look those handsome reps (I'm sure theres a
rule somewhere in the formula co. that all reps must be Mr. or Ms America
participants)   in the face and say no I won't take your money for this
conference or I can refuse all this educational hype...which is not very
good.  Parents too are part of this game...I like to call it the gimme game,
and unfortunately every American I know buys into the something for nothing
game whenever they can.  How do we stop it,
I do know that one thing that speaks to nursing managers is policy.  At our
hospital when it came time to update our nursery policies myself and a
handful of other staff (not all strong BF supporters) I collected numerous
examples of policies from competing hospitals along with research and we were
able to make some pretty significant changes.  All hospitals and managers are
driven by joint commission standards and getting written research based
standards is a key component.
The other thing is one small step at a time as well as group support.

I think Arly's idea of a disclaimer is great.  This could be a significant
step for those of us in the hospital setting.

Katherine D. idea is even better, just goes to show alone we are one small
voice but together with all our ideas, now theres a voice!

 I share your frustrations....I'm thankful that I can at least vent here and
not be called...you radical...why I think I'm not even a little radical in
this group..
thanks to lacnet from rural America!

Linda Rosetti RN, IBCLC
Clarkston, Wa