Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:18:08 -0600
>Could this be thrush? I don't think I have ever known a mom with thrush on
>just one side. Anybody seen this?

I have seen one-sided yeast on a nipples. There are usually other factors
involved, but it was really yeast. The cases have responded quickly to
gentian violet and other yeast treatments.

What I think is that there was a mild case of thrush in the picture, and a
poor latch on one side damaged the nipple, inviting the yeast to that side.
In these cases babies' thrush would not have needed treatment if not for
the problem with the one nipple.

I have also seen a terrible case thrush--globs of yogurt-looking stuff all
over the mouth...and mom had no soreness on her nipples at all. I was
called because baby wasn't feeding well--short, frequent feeds. Mom had
three other children and didn't spend time looking into the baby's mouth.
When I asked her to do so, she was aghast. As soon as antifungal treatment
began baby fed fine again. Mom did continue treating until thrush was
cleared.  Strange!

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]