From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 02:24:57 -0600
I am Jon Ahrendsen, a Family Physician of Clarion Iowa, USA.  I am a self proclaimed modern country doctor.  I do a little bit of everything here in north central Iowa, from prenatal and OB care, to being the County Medical Examiner and hospice medical director.  I also "specialize" in treating ADHD children and adults, colonoscopes, and skin cancer surgery,  besides the typical FP office work and Lactation Promotion.

I was clued into Lactnet after hearing about it at Katherine Dettwyler's presentation at the International LLL conference in Chicago in 1995.  Like most physicians I can't recall any great lecture about breastfeeding in medical school or even that much while in residency.  I started to learn more when my wife breastfeed our firstborn in 1986, and enticed me along to LLL meetings and conferences.  I read the LLL publications and had an epiphany, "Gee, this BF really does make a difference !!"

In about 1991 I was asked to give a presentation at a local BF conference sponsored by the local WIC agency.  The RD who worked for WIC and who was also in LLL, noted that more of the WIC clients, who listed me as their Dr.,  breastfeed than those coming from other doctors.  That started my mini career as a BF speaker.  I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to help promote BF to several audiences of physicians and nurses. I parody the old TV show:  "Have Slides, Will Travel".  I have also served as the Family Practice representative to the Iowa Lactation Taskforce.  I have toyed with the idea of taking the IBCLC exam, thinking that having that credential might help further "mark" me as a genuine BF zealot MD, and help me know more.

Jon Ahrendsen MD ABFP
& Becky RN IBCLC
parents of Andrea, Elizabeth and Karl
Clarion, Iowa, USA