From:
Barry Stirrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 07:35:59 +0800
Dear Lactnetters,
At a midwive's study day yesterday, here in beautiful Perth, Western
Ausralia, a paper was presented by the researcher, Elizabeth Duffy. She
has been concerned about sore nipples and nipple trauma and her research
looked at the effect of one hour of prenatal education about positioning
and attachment at 36 weeks of gestation on subsequent breastfeeding. Her
subjects were all matched for demographics (they were all low socio
economic class - a group associated with low rates of breastfeeding here
in Australia). The women were randomly assigned to either the
experimental group or the control group. Both groups of women were
assessed on day one to four post natally for nipple soreness (subjective
using a VAS - visual analogue scale) and nipple trauma using a tool
developed by the researcher and a lactation consultant and at six weeks,
to assess the incidence of breastfeeding.  The person who assessed the
women postnatally was 'blind' to the allocated group.  The two groups
were investigated concurrently, same ward staff, same ward, same time.
The results were stunningly clear and overwhelmingly supported the
intervention.  The incidences of nipple soreness, trauma and rate of
breastfeeding were dramatically in favour of the intervention, that of
specific position and attachment prenatal education.  The research was
clear and unequivocal. A wonderful piece of work.  It is to be published
in Midwifery.

Another aspect of the nipple trauma issue being looked at here in Perth
is the use of low wattage laser (30 milliwats) to promote tissue healing
when nipples are traumatised.  This technique is in the preliminary
stages of talking about investigation of its efficacy by
physiotherapists.  Does anyone have any experience with this technique?
If so, can you point me in the direction of any research concerning the
use of laser in this way. Thank you for any assistance you may be able
to give me on this matter. By the way, I love this group, I have learnt
so much since I started accessing it. warm regards, Carolyn Hastie