From:
Marian Rigney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:14:46 +1000
I have been reading the current thread with interest regarding sponsorship
of lactation conferences and potential conflicts of interest.  I work in a
special care nursey and out of necessity we, at times, have to use various
gadgets eg breast pumps (single and double pumping), breast shields,
supplemental nursing systems etc.  I would much prefer, when at a
professional conference, be able to "test drive" the equipment by handling
it, checking out the cycles and suction, asking questions etc.  I don't
blithely accept slick sales pitch but want to know the nitty gritty and
often ask detailed and probing questions and want to know what research
backs up their claims (then compare it to what I have read).  I find it a
good opportunity to compare products, see what is new or improved and an
opportunity to help me make an informed choice about which product is best
to use.  At least I am in control of the situation and can walk away at any
time.

This is a completely different situation (in my opinion) when formula reps
try to force information on you in the  hospital environment.  It reminds me
of a day last year when I was relieving my Clinical Nurse Consulant who was
on holidays when--unannounced-- a representative from a formula company
walzed into my office with a glossy brochure about a new hydroloysed formula
and asking WHEN not IF she could arrange inservice for the staff.  She had
not done her homework and was sprouting about how the AAP was recommending
this particular type of formula and how the staff needed to be updated.
Within 30 seconds I had gone to the filing cabinet, recovered the latest AAP
policy statement on hydrolysed formulas and was asking her questions she
could not answer.  No the hospital did not get this particular formula
representatives inservice but  the staff had had the opportunity to read the
AAP information which was more factual and unbiased. If we had allowed her
to give an inservice I don't believe the information would have been factual
or unbiased. It has been a number of years, in the nursery I work in, since
we have allowed a formula rep to give us an inservice.  Unfortunately there
are a number of staff who will accept what they are told as absolute fact
and who will be swayed by the marketing tactics.  We do accept their
information booklets  and read them but read other research as well.  Of
course aiming for 100%  breastfeeding/breastmilk is the best research based
alternative!!
Marian Rigney RN and IBCLC exam candidate waiting for the results