Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:41:33 +0000
Fellow Lactnetters,

I saw a mom whose newborn is not stool every day. Dr. ordered a
glycerine supository on day 7 after 3 days of no stool. Now,  ped is
recommending karo syrup after 4 days of no stool. Wt. gain good. Baby
looks fine. Ped's rectal exam concluded that baby's stools were pasty.
Baby is feeding well and intake seemed adequate. Mom has even stepped up
the feedings to ensure adequate intake. Mom was anemic dury last
trimester and was taking 325mg of iron. Mom had a C-Sec and is still
taking 325mg of iron a day.
I did a lactnet search on botulism. I think that although this is
uncommon, this baby is one of those rare cases where it is not going to
stool 2-3 or more times a day for those first few weeks of life. What
research literature can I share with the Ped to say the karo syrup is
unneccessary and possibly even dangerous?

Assunta Osterholt, IBCLC