From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:32:44 EDT
>>I consulted recently with a 2.5 week old who had gained 4oz in 2 weeks.
Pediatricin was not overly concerned (did not start supps), just referred to me.
I fought back a gasp when I saw this baby-VERY cachectic looking, literally
inhaling his fists.  In this case, Mom had good supply but baby was very
inefficent feeder.<<

I just spoke to this Mom again this am.   It turns out that her *own* pedi
recommended formula supps, the pedi that actually saw her-referred her to me.
Fortunately I convinced Mom (god I hate doing this!) that there is nothing magic
about formula vs. breastmilk...... etc, etc and she agreed to use my
recommended regime of improving feeding technique, pumping and bottle feeding
EBM......baby gained 20oz in 8 days!!!   He is now (2 wks post consult) back to
exclusive nursing.
 I may take a ride over there just to get a look at him! :)

Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts