From:
CarolRNLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:44:57 EST
OK, Lactnuts,

Here's another controversy for y'all to tangle with:

Our local BF task force had a wonderful in-service yesterday on BF & premies,
led by 3 NICU nurses from different hospitals.  ALL of them mentioned Human
Milk Fortifier as a "given" for very-low-birthweight babies, along with
vitamin & mineral supplementation as well.

When I brought up my concern about the milk-protein content of HMF, from my
perspective as a woman with milk allergies wanting to avoid same in my
children,  they all agreed "that might be a problem", but none of them knew
what to do about it.  One suggested using dried human milk, but said that it
was scarce, expensive, "& still doesn't provide all the minerals needed".

I then asked if they got signed consent to add HMF to expressed breast milk, &
was told "no".

My points to ponder:

Is there a liability issue here?  What if these kids develop milk allergy,
NEC, etc. on down the road?  What if HMF is NOT used, & the kids develop bone
deficiencies, failure to thrive, or whatever?

Is there an alternative to HMF, that these NICUs & neonatologists/nurses
aren't aware of?

Our task force waits with baited (non-milk!) breath for your collective words
of wisdom!

Carol in St. Louis