From:
lisa mooney RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:30:59 EDT
Ilene, I think your suggestions are right on. What a shame that so many
OB/Gyn's fail to treat holistically. PCO, Polycystic Ovarian Disease, is not
a disease, but rather a sign of an underlying imbalance, a hormonal
malfunction. It is thought that these women have an excess of circulating
androgen and that her ovaries do not produce eggs as a result of there being
an abscence of the normal cyclical changes that occur with normal ovarian
function. As a result her menstrual cycles will stop or become irregular.
Since western medicine does not know the cause of most cases of PCO the
treatment focuses on quelling sx's, hence the hormones and also
antiandrogenic drug, spironolactone. Why did her doc not give her progestin
only ?????In Lawerence she states that progesterone will not interfere with
milk supply after it has been established since the breast does not have any
progesterone receptors. This info I gain from my favorite OB/GYN Christiane
Northrup. Excess insulin is also thought to play a role in producing excess
androgen, so losing of any excess weigth and eating of a whole food , less
refined , diet may help. She also recomends looking at issues one may be
harboring re: being comfortable with one's femininity, as the hypothalamus
which regulates cyclic ovulatory function can be affected by emotions and
stress. Another rec. is to reestablish cyclic emotional flow with allowing
the full range of emotional responses in your life. Two other recc's are
reesatblish flow through a connection with light and nature, this also
affects hypothalamus and pit gland. Get out in natural light and sleep with a
light on for three nights a month. Also , what about trying the natural
preogesterone creams made from wild yams? I would think as I said before on
LActnett, it would have less side effects because it is more specific to
binding sites than the synthetic? Sorry for the format, I need to buy an
ergonomically correct keyboard.. This laptop is driving me batty Lisa Mooney
RN BSN