From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 18:17:00 -0700
Cutting a nipple shield was a way to help baby slowly become adjusted to
the feel of the real nipple in his mouth. It was a common practice when
shields were made of rubber.
But now they are made of silicone. The cut edge is very sharp and can
injure baby &/or mom. So we now recommend against cutting the shield. I
have never heard of cutting it to help baby get more milk. The holes in the
shield are large enough for easy flow. The fear of insufficient intake
comes from the reduced nipple stimulation because the shield creates a
barrier to that stimulation. I don't see how cutting the end of the shield
would help increase areolar stimulation. I suggest the doula needs an
in-service to update her knowledge on shield use.

Mom can try removing the shield mid-feed when baby naturally releases the
breast and hope he accepts the bare breast. If not, try again tomorrow. It
sometimes seems like a switch flips in baby's head one day when he just
takes the breast without a fight. It's like baby was letting mom know
exactly who is in control of this feeding thing.

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ

  The doula told this