From:
coutts coutts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 23:08:31 -0500
Just wanted to add my .02 to the recent posts from Diane W and Jennifer
Tow - I loved what you had to say about these issues.  My thoughts to
add to what you have so wonderfully said already is:   if only all
breastfeeding women and babies would attend breastfeeding support groups
if available in their area such as LLL Meetings.  Having been attending
meetings for over 21 years and leading for 11+ years I can honestly say
that rarely were questions brought up regarding how long was long enough
in terms of "time".   It's amazing what pregnant women coming to these
meetings "take in" in terms of breastfeeding "know how" just from
watching the other mothers and their babies. I know (as well as I
realize many of you too)  that the simple act of being around other
breastfeeding mothers and watching them and their babies breastfeed,
sometimes for 2 minutes on each side, sometimes for 5 on the first and
30 on the second or a total of 60 minutes for both breasts divided up
many times, each a different length..only interupted for perhaps a
diaper change or for the "older" baby to check out his surrounds a
minute or two...are all fine for that baby and mom at that time of day
on that particular day...perhaps finishing the first side first really
does mean switching to the other side when mom has an itch she needs to
tend to or perhaps baby's head is beginning to sweat on mom's arm
(please laugh here).  Thanks for listening. Sorry it's so long for only
.02.  Mary, LLLL