From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:18:33 -0400
Rachel says, "As long as people who are arranging the training are also the
ones awarding
the certification, such certification will be subject to suspicion of
partiality.  That is, it is in the trainer's interest to see to it that
people get certified, because anything else makes the program look bad.  I
think your certification means more if it is awarded on the basis of pre-set
criteria determined by someone other than the institution offering the
training to prepare you to test for certification.  Just my bias!

Rachel Myr (IBCLC, peer counsellor, and midwife)
Kristiansand, Norway"

Thank you for this post Rachel. It isn't just your bias. It is also noted on
the ILCA website, I believe, that courses that provide certification are not
recommended, I assume for the same reasons of bias and partiality.

The IBCLC is the independently reviewed minimum entry level for lactation
consulting, and that requires a minimum of 2500 hours of quality work and
experience with breastfeeding mothers. LLL Leaders, I might add, have to be
a LLLeader for 5 years (*or it used to be this way, might have changed*) to
be eligible to sit for the IBCLC exam. That is an impressive number of
hourse  of experience helping breastfeeding mothers.

Respectfully, Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC, LLL