From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:54:16 EDT
Carol wrote:
"So, it was my intent  that I pull the appropriate articles from the magazine, verify their
 legitimacy by reviewing the article and its reference list, and then post it for potential clients only after I, as a clinical expert have validated its relevance.  I purposefully would not, therefore, offer the magazine in its entirety to my clients."

Maybe I am not understanding this post clearly (if I am off base, my aoplogies), but are you saying that mothers should be protected from information not "filtered" through an expert? So much of the bf'ing success of many mothers has nothing to do w/ "evidence-based" anything. It has to do with a woman's world view, her self-identification as a bf'ing mother, her willingness to fall in love, to surrender, to attach, to "be" a mother. Mothers need to be supported in a whole way, not just in the evidence of bf'ing. We have all known (or been) mothers who have had fabulous bf'ing relationships and have not done anything "by the book". There are precious few places in Western culture (esp the US) where women can find support for the heart and soul of mothering. LLL is one of those places and Mothering Magazine is another. I cannot hold the hand of every woman who comes my way, eager to be nurtured into attachment mothering. So, I refer her to LLL and to resources (such as mags and!
 books) and sometimes to other m
oms. I trust her to find her way from there, just as I did from these very same resources as a new mother.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA