Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:16:17 -0500
WRT saying mothers who need formula from a food bank should be able to
qualify for WIC, I feel it is necessary to mention (at least three years
ago when I signed up for WIC) that WIC does not (nor do they intend to)
provide the entire amount of formula necessary for feeding a baby.  In
fact, I know more than a few mothers who have been chewed out when they go
into WIC requesting a can because they're out and have been told "You know,
and you knew when you signed up, that we aren't supposed to provide ALL of
the formula your baby needs!"

I clearly remember when signing up for WIC (Lincoln NE USA office) signing
a piece of paper which said "I understand if I choose to bottlefeed my baby
WIC does not provide the total amount of formula necessary and I will need
to purchase some with my own funds" (This was part of the breastfeeding pep
talk BTW).

Not commenting on appropriateness of donating formula, just saying that
telling them to get on WIC, in the US at least, does not necessarily solve
the problem of a non-lactating mother who needs something other than soda
and water to feed her baby.

-wendey (studying LC in Montreal)