Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:25:07 -0500
Hello,

I am speaking on a personal note. I have never worked with anyone on this
topic.  What the mother describes sounds very familiar to me.  I have had
and continue to have negative sensations regarding touch.  They are visceral
reactions to certain sensations, quite separate from any kind of emotional
bias or trauma.  For me the sensitivity is worse during pregnancy, when I'm
premenstrual, and when stress levels are high - including in over
stimulating environments.

It has been frustrating and confusing.  Through raising my children and
trying to meet their needs I have been introduced to the concept of Sensory
Integration.

http://www.sensoryint.com/faq.html
http://www.sinetwork.org/aboutspd/whatisspd.html

I know most, if not all of you understand how it can affect breastfeeding in
terms of the infant.  It is also something one does not really grow out of,
although most develop decent coping skills, so moms can have it too. ;-)  It
goes a long way toward explaining my experiences and knowledge of it may be
helpful to this mom.  For herself and also since the trait can run in
families and the baby may have sensory issues too.

If the concept of sensory integration resonates for her then the following
book, written for adults with sensory issues, gives coping & desensitizing
strategies. Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do if You are
Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World by Sharon Heller.  I found the
book to be very refreshing and I related to it much more than to the info I
was reading about my kids.  Just nice to know your not alone. ;-)

Interestingly enough, the babies did not elicit the expected negative
lovely oxytocin suppresses the negative sensations, because when aroused I
also don't have any problem with things that would normally be intolerable.

If the root of her problem is the same, then breastfeeding won't be as
challenging as she suspects. Even though I was committed to breastfeeding
before I had my first I was very worried about the "ick" factor making it a
very unpleasant experience.  It wasn't, and there is definitely something to
be said for the physical relief of having those breasts emptied.  However,
she might want to be prepared for more sensation than her friends relate.
Compared to what I have heard from other mothers I seem to feel much more of
the inner workings of the breast.  The sensations were only painful when
something wasn't right, just like for other moms. ;-)  Even now 2 years past
weaning I feel activity daily.  Don't know what those cells are doing but
their doing something.

Good luck to her & your colleague,

Jodie Lucci
LLL Leader in NH, USA