From:
Tina Revai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2012 14:43:52 -0400
I am following this thread with interest . . .
My paid work is as a public health nurse and I have some ethical tension on this issue.  Mostly b/c I know that where I am, nobody is giving any direction to parents on safe(r) formula preparation.  At best, this looks like a handout from Health Canada (and the language in that was softened a few years ago as Renee mentioned).  These handouts are not routinely given out in our newborn packages - and rightly so, but parents are likely putting their babies at increased risk b/c all they do is follow the instructions on the product.  Formula preparation was taken out as a subject long ago in our provincially universal perinatal guide for parents.
I have straddled this ethical tension by mentioning in our breastfeeding class that powdered formula is not sterile and we discuss the increasing price of formula for liquid.  I make available the HC formula preparation guidelines.  That is the extent of what I cover and it is received by participants as facts that are disincentives to formula feeding.  My hope is that if they formula feed, they will at least have enough to realize that there is more to it than following the label and they will seek more information.
The context of these classes is that every parent in the class self identifies as intending to BF, just once in the past 5 years have I had a family tell me that there intention is to BF.  We have 96-98% initiation rate.  However, from a public health perspective, we know that most babies get some formula.  This is just not addressed in our system.
Some may define what I do as group formula preparation instruction - honestly I wouldn't even know how to mix formula in a way that meets best practices.  That in itself seems like 4 hour course for instructors!
So my questions:
Please talk about your experience, especially if you are in Canada but really anywhere, if your healthcare system allows for 1:1 teaching of appropriate formula preparation.
What HCP is doing this?  What guidelines do they follow?  How much time is allowed for this?
Babies given ABM are an at risk group, for those of us in public health, how do you address the needs of this group?
Tina
Port Alberni