From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 12:47:38 -0700
Jane brings up an interesting point:
"The one factor many people do not consider is the age
and use of  the Pump In Style.  I have seen more moms
who borrow or buy a used Pump in Style."

Absolutely!  A related issue I have run into is a
mother re-using a kit (with a hospital grade pump)
that she has used w a previous baby or (horrors)
borrowed from a friend.  Sometimes the tubing appears
clear to the eye but purchasing a new kit is the
difference between a drip & a flood of milk.  The
problem is not with the change-able membrane over the
valve, but with the suction/vacuum effect through the
tube.  Perhaps some mechanically minded type will post
a more cost efficient solution.

Personally, I favor the Medela Classic or the Ameda
SMB for any mom who is serious about maintaining &
increasing her milk supply when her baby is
unavoidably away from her breast.  More cycles per
minute & more mothers telling me anecdotally that it
simply "works better."

On the issue of hand expressing vs pumping:
Mothers generally come to me with the expectation that
hand expressing doesn't work ("Oh I've tried that & it
doesn't work for me..") and that a hospital grade pump
will work "automatically."  No doubt it has to do with
cultural attitudes, perhaps even my own.  Still, if
the woman comes to me with faith in equipment, I go
ahead & build that faith.  My attitude in all things
lactation is "find what's working and build on it."
It's a positive approach & always propels me, mothers,
& babies forward.

And now for the "venting portion" of my post:
It is frustrating that money sometimes gets in the way
of a mother simply nursing her baby.  Mothers
frequently contact me after purchasing, borrowing, or
renting equipment elsewhere.  It is late in the game
for me to influence her choice, particularly if cost
was the deciding factor.  Insurance rarely covers
costs once mom & baby are home, and sometimes not even
when baby is in NICU & mom is discharged.  Best I stop
now before my vent becomes a rant.  Perhaps insurance
savvy lactnetters will post on this angle.  Hope so!

Susan Johnson  MFA, IBCLC