Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:15:14 -0700
This is what is on LLLI's website in the Help Forms FAQ on nipple piercing:
My nipples are pierced. Can I breastfeed my baby?
Thank you for sending your question to La Leche League. I am the volunteer
LLL Leader who has received your Help Form. I hope the information I'm
sending will be helpful to you. When you have a chance, could you let me
know you received this message? Thank you! Please also feel free to write
back if you need more support or information.

You are wondering if your pierced nipples will impact breastfeeding. LLLI's
the BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK on page 382 says that no evidence exists to
suggest that nipple piercing has any affect on breastfeeding.

The June/July 1999 issue of LEAVEN, LLLI's magazine for Leaders, had an
article on nipple piercings called, {"Nipple Piercings: Is It Compatible
with Breastfeeding?"}
http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul99p64.html The author,
Jahann Martine describes nipple piercings through the ages as well as
possible risks associated with piercings. The article discusses the issue of
whether to remove the jewelry prior to a breastfeeding session. One hazard
Marine writes of is that baby's suck could dislodge the jewelry, possibly
causing choking and/or damage to baby's mouth. Another hazard is that your
baby may not be able to latch on well with the jewelry in place. Discussing
the piercings with your professional piercer as well as your health care
provider will help you determine your approach.

La Leche League's manual, THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING, has lots of good
information on breastfeeding your baby. This book is available from our
catalog, which is on our Web site at
http://www.lalecheleague.org/catalog.html. You may also find it in
bookstores or libraries in your area. It has been through six revisions and
contains all the latest research-based information available about
breastfeeding.

Margo (LLL Leader; Southern CA)
Proud Canadian
Mum to Liam & Ceilidh