From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:11:13 -0500
Dear all:

Sitting under my desk at home I have this huge document that is "Quantifying the benefits of
breastfeeding:  20 years of Evidence." As I've said before, there are many ways in which one can
poorly design a study or even design it well and end up with no results. I actually find these studies
the most interesting of all.  So, lest you throw up your hands with all the good work that those of you
have done with peer support and ask yourselves was it worth it?  Let me tell you what this excellent
review says - Peer Support definitely makes a quantifiable difference in breastfeeding.

So, look carefully at this study and see what they left out.  It could be that the peer support was not
implemented well.  If it was not implemented well, the study does not negate the 20 years of
evidence that show that when it is implemented well it makes a difference.

Best regards, Susan Burger