From:
Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 18:43:21 PDT
I need to scream. I am the member of a task force that was
formed to improve
breastfeeding services in my hospital. Today the
neonatololgist joined us to
define under which circumstances he agrees that a mother
may breastfeed on
the delivery table. He claims the babies come up cold.
(The delivery floor
is one floor below the nursery and postpartum floor). To
emphasize his point
he said that he doesn't want one hair of a baby's head
harmed so they could
be breastfed. When I asked him if he was saying that
breast milk and Abm are
the same and there are no hazards of bottle feeding....He
launched into a
whole tirade about how the studies on bm and IQ were not double blind
studies and there were no double blind studies (here he was unclear as to
what). I thought the focus would be on how we can adapt the delivery room to
allow the mom and baby time together.(I also don't want cold babies and in
the past have given articles to the head midwife on low  cost, inventive
ways to keep babies warm.) By the way, mothers are "allowed" to breastfeed
on the delivery table, if they ask. Sometimes it is suggested to them -
depending on the midwife - and the pressure in the delivery suite.
   Since I assume that he doesn't read this list I can tell you that his
children weren't BF. Scream...scream!!! Does anyone have a cool answer. I
would appreciate hearing, from those of you who work in hospital, how you
keep your moms and babes warm. Sincerely Toby  - (who's low blood pressure
may have dangerously risen.) PS> soon I will write a follow-up on my crying
baby.
Name: Toby Gish R.N.LLLL.IBCLC
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
"What is essential is invisible to the eye..."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupery