From:
LORI ISENSTADT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:11:16 -0700
Hi:

I am forwarding this post to the list.   Mom has given her permission to share.  I will be forwarding your responses to Bonnie Jones, IBCLC.  Thanks for your wisdom:

I have parents permission to post.  Baby born by planned C-section for macrosomia at term.  Baby over 10 pounds.  Has what appear to be enlarged buccal fat pads on both sides of his mouth.  It looks much like when you bite the inside of your mouth and it swells.  These fat pads, or whatever they are, cover the gums completely.  They extend over the entire part of the mouth where the molars would be expected to come in.  On assessment, as I move my gloved finger to the back of the baby's mouth to feel the back of the pad, it goes far enough back that the baby gags.  Baby does not appear to have pain either either with oral assessment or with breastfeeding.  Baby also has a slightly high palate-not a bubble, just higher than average arch.

There was an unsuccessful breastfeeding attempt prior to my assistance.  Baby did nurse reasonably well considering he was 2 hours old and had just been bathed.  Latch and suck seemed normal.  However, the nipple was pinched when baby came off, and mom did report a slight pinching sensation.  We did not try any "tricks" to correct pinching.  Both of my hands were busy holding baby and holding the breast as mom was nauseated and didn't feel like moving at all.

Does anyone have any idea what these protuberances in the cheeks might be, expected breastfeeding course, suggested interventions?  In order to establish and maintain milk supply, I do plan to start mom pumping just in case there are problems with either mom or baby's comfort or the effectiveness of the suck.

Thanks for your input.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC

Banner Thunderbird Medical Center

Lactation Consultant