From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:21:12 -0400
I recently was interviewing a Canadian pediatrician on a related topic (for
a magazine article) and wanted to mention the risks of introducing cow's
milk or cow's milk-based formula in terms of Diabetes. He said he doesn't
see any point in telling mothers about this because so few mothers can
manage exclusive breastfeeding AND the nursing mother would also need to
avoid dairy in herown diet and it's just too difficult. I had not heard that
point - that the breastfeeding mother needs to avoid dairy. I can see,
though, that it might be beneficial.

But I was annoyed that he withheld this information from parents because HE
thought it would be too difficult! Yes, it is somewhat challenging to avoid
dairy, but many of us have been doing it for years. And, frankly, given the
choice between avoiding dairy and breastfeeding exclusively and the
possibility of having to give my child insulin shots every day as well as
all the risks that go with diabetes - well, I know what I'd choose.

Teresa Pitman