From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 10:54:30 +0100
Mimi asked for responses on BF with nipples 'like mushrooms'.
I've seen it one time, and the mother had twins, one month prematurely.  We
couldn't find a pump set that fit well and it was physically impossible for
her babies to get their mouths around the nipples.

This is the only case in my career when I have resigned myself to BF being a
physical impossibility.  It was several years ago.  She was able to manually
express small amounts, but the tissue in the 'bulb' was hard and non-elastic
and there seemed to be no way to soften it.  Jean Cotterman's ideas would
have been a challenge to apply on her!

I couldn't think how to ask her about the shape of her nipples without
making her feel weird.  She was a primip, and behaved as though her nipples
were completely normal.  I didn't want to change that perception but inside
I was mighty curious about whether they had always had that shape.  It
looked like someone had tied cords around them and left them on for
prolonged periods until they had changed shape.  I didn't know her well
enough to ask any questions and she definitely didn't make openings for
them.  She was overwhelmed by the twins and by motherhood and didn't seem
crushed that BF was a problem, just coped with getting them fed by any
means.

Sorry this isn't more helpful in a practical way.  I'll be interested to see
if anyone else has seen the likes of it.
Rachel Myr
Norway