From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:59:08 -0500
Diane said,
<<What I *really* like to see/hear is rolled eyes and an agonized "aaugh!"
from a mother when I ask about diapers :-)>>
This is precisely what the mother with the reduction (whose baby I saw and
watched nurse) said when I asked!  She said that she had to change him at
every feeding and sometimes between feedings.  This woman was intelligent
and well informed.  She knew the possibility of problems with breastfeeding
related to her reduction surgery, having researched it before the baby was
born.  In fact, I believe she was on an internet list for women in this
situation or a website or something.  She was really concerned about it and
paying close attention, so I don't think she was exaggerating about the
diapers.  She said that she felt she had gotten "over the hump" because the
baby was feeding well and having many wet and dirty diapers per day, until
she went to the pedi and baby had gained only 3 or 4 ounces in 2 weeks.
Overall weight gain from birth weight was 2 lbs at 8 weeks.  Baby was 6-8 at
birth and 8-9 at 8 week appt.  Anyway, I'm waiting to hear back from her
about how things are going this week.  Thanks for all the posts.  I was
curious, though, about the notion that wet/dirty diapers are not a
reasonable indication of nutritional status.  If that's the case, why do we
give them?
I understand about the "really wet" and dirty concept, versus just a little
wet.  At this point, I'm thinking we just need to get a pre and post feed
weight as the only accurate way of determining intake at a feed.  Now, who
do I know with a good scale?   (We've put one in our budget for this year,
but they're a little slow getting the budgets passed.)

Marsha, who is happy to see today (finally) that our SCN staff have attended
a wee care class and are turning the lights and noise down for our premie
babies and using snugglers to make them more comfortable.  Change is slow in
coming, but it IS coming.