Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:30:05 +0000
>>Is it *ever* possible to 'drain' a breast 'completely', when bf is
>>going well?
>
>Heather I think my actual words were 'as completely as possible'.  I
>understand what you are saying and agree with you, but was trying to make
>the point that the emptier or less full the breast is the better as far as
>imminent milk synthesis is concerned.

Thanks, Denise, yes, that's clear and logical! I think I prefer 'less
full' to 'emptier' : )

<snip>

>Rate of milk synthesis depends on degree of breast fullness which is
>directly related to breastmilk capacity and milk removal at each occasion.

Thanks....I think the work showing the variability of breastmilk
capacity is very useful, and helps us all, but I do admit to wanting
to know more, and understand more, to help explain what is happening
when mothers ask.

For instance, what about the mothers who call, very worried because
they think they are losing, or have even lost, their milk?

They are feeding a baby aged (say) 12 weeks or so, and they have lost
the feeling of fullness they used to have and which has been up to
now their 'security blanket'. They can't believe they are still
managing to nourish their baby well, because their breasts don't feel
full much of the time.

I explain to them that when the baby is fine and nothing else has
changed, this is normal. It is the body responding much more neatly
to the demands of the baby, without the prolactin-stimulated
"over-production" of the first weeks....and I also say that the
difference in breastmilk volume between a breast that is huge and
hard(ish), and a breast that is soft, may not be as great as they
think.

I am right, here, aren't I? Baby takes 'large' feed, and makes breast
much 'less full' than before...milk is replaced in response to this,
but mother doesn't feel as she is bursting, because the milk quantity
is just right for her, and for her baby.

>>I also want to resist the idea that 'breast as a pacifier' is somehow
>>'wrong' - what was 'invented' first, the breast or the pacifier?
>
>Pacifiers provide non-nutritive sucking.  Sucking at the breast cannot be
>non-nutritive in a lactating woman.  I see no relationship whatsoever...
>It's just another put-down phrase used to make mothers feel inferior.

I totally agree. I would also like to ban the phrase 'he's sucking
just for comfort'...what on earth is that 'just' doing in there!?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK