From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 08:52:12 -0800
>I have several questions about tongue tie and clipping.
>I just have several questions about doing the procedure: how painful it is to
>the neonate, how soon after the procedure infants nurse without discomfort.

Pierrette, my husband had a significant tie clipped when he was 7 or 8 years
old. He has very clear memories of the event.  It was done in a physician's
office and 'hurt less than getting your ears pearced'  'more of a sound than
a feeling'.  He was given a tissue to hold against the clip and only bled a
drop or two.  He was immediately taken out for ice cream and ate without
discomfort.  Actually the clipping was done so that he could lick an ice
cream cone, as his parents thought it unreasonable that he not be able to do
so.  When I hear his mother describe the pain that made her wean him at two
weeks I am always saddened that it was not thought worthwhile to clip when
he was an infant.  Despite being a significant tie it did not affect his
speach which is sometimes given as the 'only' legitimate reason to clip.
--"Without interest and passion nothing great has ever happened in history.
Hegel"
               Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC   Duncan, B.C., Canada--