From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:26:24 -0600
Using a nipple shield (silicone) has really helped some of these little
ones latch on. I have heard Paula Meier speak about this frequently
(we're both in Chicago) and her article in JHL (last fall? sometime last
year?) described the technique and process. I have done a very limited
"study" and found that babies who have done poorly on the breast alone,
did VERY well with a nipple shield. (Tried one breast with, one
without). It seems that they prefer something firm in the mouth after
being bottle fed or NG tubed. Their suck was more organized, rhythmical
and effective. I don't have all my JHLs at work so maybe someone can
look up the exact date of the article.
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC
Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago IL
Romeoville IL (home)